.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Upset Wednesday

Yesterday was full of upsets as two top 10 teams, #1 Duke and #7 Texas fell to unranked opponents, both on the road and #11 Tennessee lost at home. It does show that winning on the road in college basketball is extremely tough, so much in fact if I remember correctly from my Sports in Society class the professor said that only soccer has a bigger home field advantage than college basketball and those two were by far the top two sports in home field advantage. Those that know me know my absolute hatred for Duke due to the fact when I was growing up they beat two of my favorite teams, UNLV and then Michigan in back to back seasons. I've got this thing with hating teams that beat my favorite teams when I was younger, hence the reason I also hated Michael Jordan and the Bulls since they beat the Lakers in 91.

Florida State should have won that game earlier at Duke and it was great to see them pick up that win since they are probably in the tourney now thanks to that win. Texas lost because of a boneheaded play by P.J. Tucker who did not know the shot clock at the end of the game and did not get a shot off. That is inexcusable to not know the clock at such a critical juncture in the game. He ended up just dribbling the time away and did not even get a look and Texas A&M capitalized with a 3 pointer at the buzzer. Big time win for the Aggies and they are looking better for an at large berth. Finally Tennessee lost their home game to Kentucky, both schools which I hate and Kentucky is the lesser of two evils in my book so it was good to see. Bruce Pearl, head coach at Tennessee, once again wore a hideous orange blazer and I'm shocked to see they make them in that color.

The Lakers just blew another game to another terrible team and are looking just awful now. What was once optimism that this team could get it together and move up to a 6 seed now has turned to doubts if this team can even hold on to the 8th playoff spot in the West. This team cannot shoot, cannot defend, cannot do anything right. It doesn't get better with a game at Golden State on Friday followed by home games on Saturday and Monday against Detroit and San Antonio. It is getting extremely frustrating to watch this team as plays so well one night and then so poorly the next. I hope we can pick up this next one in Golden State or we're going to be looking at the wrong side of 5oo, something we never want to see, much less at this point of the season when teams are supposed to be coming together for the stretch run and the playoffs, I can only hope we're just about to turn that corner.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for leaving a comment on my site. I hated MJ and the Bulls for so long because of that 91 Laker series too. Broke my heart to see my Lakers lose. By the way, the Lakers are now 7-0 in games I have attended this year (Denver, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Miami, Detroit)

    By Blogger Nate Jones, at 1:30 AM  

  • Excuse me, 8-0 I also was at the Sacramento game.

    By Blogger Nate Jones, at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home