.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Monday, March 06, 2006

This is why I get so frustrated with the Lakers


There's a lot I was going to discuss today once I got to posting but of course as always, my brilliant ideas that I thought of over the weekend are gone once I arrive to work on Monday, I really need to start writing this stuff down. Anyways onto the highlights of the weekend. Once again due to my diet I'm currently on I was pretty much just stuck at home watching sports, although there was so much on even if I wasn't I probably would've stayed in as well. My new laptop finally came on Friday so I stayed at home to start setting it up and watched the Lakers take on the Warriors and add another W to the record. Once again Kobe hit some just ridiculous shots that you wouldn't believe unless you saw them and the Lakers were above .500 by a game now.

But I didn't expect it to last for long considering the Lakers history against good teams and their problems with 2nd nights of back to backs, but for once they were coming home for a 2nd half which I don't remember happening in a long time. I turned on the game in the 2nd quarter since I was also watching the North Carolina-Duke game as well as the Joe Calzaghe-Jeff Lacy fight which both started at 6 and were definitely good games, the fight notsomuch as it was more of Calzaghe just beating the crap out of Lacy so there was a lot of action.

Anyways back to the Lakers when I turned it on in the 2nd quarter they were still in a tight ball game which I really didn't expect considering the Jekyll and Hyde nature of this team. Then at the end of the quarter the Lakers hit a 3 to cut it to 4, only to let Chauncey come back down and hit a 3 at the buzzer to push it back to 7, which definitely hurt as they just took back the momentum the Lakers had gained at the end. As expected the Pistons shot out of the gate in the 2nd half, so quickly in fact that Coach Jackson had to call a TO not even a minute into the quarter. The Pistons then continued on and opened the lead up to 13 halfway through the 3rd quarter when the ran began. After chipping away at the lead to 8, then the Lakers went on a 16-0 run from the end of the 3rd to the beginning of the 4th which put them up for good. Lamar hit a 3 at the end of the 3rd to give the Lakers a 2 point lead which they wouldn't relinquish for the rest of the night.

The Pistons did make their attempt to come back during the 4th but the Lakers held it off for by far the biggest win of the season and it couldn't have come at a better time. Kobe was Kobe again dropping 40 but the big stories were Lamar Odom with 24 points and 10 assists and Kwame Brown actually earning some of his contract as he had 12 boards and outrebounded Ben Wallace. I know you've heard many say this but it is true, as Lamar goes the Lakers will go. Kobe will drop his 35+ a night but when Lamar is getting close to 20 points and plays aggressive while distributing like he can this team could surprise a lot of people across the country.

This could be a springboard game as this next week consists of very important matchups starting with the Spurs tonight at Staples then hit the road for a game against New Orleans/Oklahoma City which is just a couple games in front of them and then at San Antonio again. There's also the game against the Queens next Tuesday as well so this is a very important stretch for the squad. Hopefully they will build from this experience and start playing more consistent ball and we can see them compete and win against some of the better teams in the league. Granted it does us no good if we continue to get beaten by Atlanta, Portland and the rest of the cellar in the L. We know what this Lakers team is capable of so it makes it that much more frustrating watching them blow games they shouldn't and win games they shouldn't. This team is better than that and I can only hope that they continue to show it for the rest of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home