.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Of course, I knew it'd be too much to ask for

The Lakers lost, as expected to San Antonio last night. The Lake Show had jumped out to a 6 point lead after 1 and led by 2 at the half only to come out and get destroyed in the 3rd as they were outscored by 17. You can't do that in any game, much less against the defending world champions. Kobe tried to bring them back by himself, which he started to do, but they couldn't get any stops and just kept trading baskets which did them no good. Kobe finished with 43 but Lamar only had 13 and no one else hit double digits although Mihm and Smush had 9 each to come close.

No one else helped on the offensive end so we needed defensive stops but there were none to be found. That shows in the box score with 21 each from Ginobli, Parker and Michael Finley as well as 18 from Tim Duncan. Ginobli and Finley both shot 5-6 from behind the arc and as a team they shot over 50%. That will not get the job done and things must improve and fast as there is a critical game tomorrow night in New Orleans. The Hornets are in the 7th spot ahead of the Lakers by 2.5 games so it is critical they pick this one up as every game counts that much more during the stretch run, especially against the teams that are in this bunch at the bottom of the Western Conference.

Tuesday is usually the day I go to buy new CD's at Best Buy but there hasn't been much that's been good released lately so I haven't bought much. However I did pick up the new Ne-Yo CD "In my own words" last week and I must say it is pretty good. I'm sure everyone has heard "So Sick" which was played out on the radio a month ago but it still on all over the place but the rest of his album is solid. The first time I heard Ne-Yo was back in late August/early September when his first single "Stay" dropped. That was/is a hot joint and I don't get why that song didn't catch on as well as I thought it would. It's got a very catchy hook and a good beat and just seems like something that would have gotten a lot more commercial appeal but it didn't.

The rest of the album is ok as it has its moments such as the new single "When you get mad" and "Get Down Like That" even though it uses the same beat that Mary J Blige uses for her opening track in "The Breakthrough." Ne-yo's version is just a little bit slower but I could immediately tell I had heard it before when I first listened to it. The CD also has the remix of "Get Down Like That" as a hidden track which features Ghostface Killah which is always good. A few tracks sound like something straight out of an Usher album and I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing. I was debating on the final score between a 3.5 and a 4 out of 5 stars but I just couldn't decide so I'll cut it down the middle and score it a 3.75 out of 5 stars. Definitely worth a pickup while you can get it for $7.99.

Another CD that I also recently picked up was Dave Hollister's "Things in the Game Done Changed." Some may remember Hollister as one of the original members of Blackstreet, but he left the group very early on. He has had some good singles and as a member of yourmusic.com where I get CD's for $5.99 each I thought it was worth a buy. Damn was I wrong. The song I remember the most from this CD was his single that got a good amount of play back when it was released "Baby Do Those Things." But aside from that I can't find many good tracks at all and nothing that comes close to that song. It does have the "Keep Loving You" Remix with AZ so that is a plus but it doesn't have the original version of the song, a very good song by the way, that I thought would be on the album as well. I believe that was only released on the Steve Harvey compliation CD that came out a few years back. So just because of that single I'm going to give this album 1.5 stars, don't get it, just go download that track.

2 Comments:

  • I'm starting to hate the Spurs even more than I use to hate the Blazers and the Kings

    By Blogger Nate Jones, at 1:06 PM  

  • I can see where you're coming from and I think I'm definitely with you on that as well. At least with the Blazers and the Kings we always knew we would beat them in the playoffs but not the case now with the Spurs and as hot as she is Eva Longoria is pissing me off everytime they show her whenever Parker makes a basket.

    By Blogger Kenny, at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home