.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Monday, January 30, 2006

Guess Who's Back


Another great win for the basketball team as they took care of business on Saturday with a second consecutive victory over a ranked team 85-76 over Wisconsin. This moves the Wolverines into a tie for first place in the Big Ten heading into two important road games, games which we can win and I expect us to win at Penn State and at Iowa.

Horton had an off night shooting 2 of 10 from the field but Dion Harris picked up the slack as well as Courtney Sims as they finished with 23 and 18, respectively. The team as a whole shot pretty well as they shot 55% from the field. The win puts us to 15-3 on the year and 5-2 in conference and also puts us back in the top 25 where we haven't been since 1998. The AP Poll has us in at #21 while the Coaches Poll has us at #20.

This is the team we could have had last year if we weren't derailed by injuries and suspensions and it's great to see it actually happening. After living through the dark years of Michigan basketball I cannot express how happy I am to see the program on its way back. There is a confidence from the team which we haven't seen in a while and the guys know that this is their last go round as Horton, Hunter and Brown are seniors. These guys along with Lester Abram, who gets one more year due to his medical redshirt last season, came in as freshmen and were placed on sanctions and stuck it out as they had a great season, one in which they would have gone dancing had the sanctions not been in place. This is their year and their time to make a mark on Michigan basketball as the guys that turned the program around after the down times.

I'm rooting like crazy for these guys and I know what they're capable of, I said before last season I expected a Sweet 16 berth and people thought I was crazy. With the injuries we can see that didn't happen, I said it again at the end of last year and the beginning of this year. I really hope I'm right this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home