.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Plenty to Cover

A combination of still being hungover from the Lakers debacle as well as my transferring to a different department at work has left me less time to post now. I didn't want to have to discuss more of the Lakers because it still makes me sick thinking about blowing the 3-1 lead but it is a young team that will only get better. But as always, there is one sport on my mind which can help ease my pain and that is college football. There is new hope with the start of a new season and I can't wait for it to start. Before I get started I finally have compiled my jersey list which I talked about a few weeks back so all my friends that want to know which jerseys I've got now can check it out right here.

Luckily the college football blogsphere has posted some questions which'll help me get back on track. For today I'll cover the Roundtable questions asked by Burnt Orange Nation.

Which offseason story are you most tired of, and, on the flip side, interested in? (e.g. Reggie Bush's house, Jimmy Claussen, etc.)

Coming from a Michigan fan it's probably natural for me to say the story I'm most tired of is Notre Dame. Everything about them from Coach Weis to Brady Quinn and coverage has now gotten bigger due to the commitment of Jimmy Clausen. Now, it's not just Clausen, anyone that commits to Notre Dame now gets coverage on ESPN as witnessed by their most recent commitment getting an article on the College Football Page of ESPN. Speaking of Clausen, he is just setting himself up for failure with his announcement and how he handled things. First off he plays in an extremely weak division which features a bunch of small private schools that his team dominates considering that he is one of 4 or 5 D-1 caliber prospects on his team. If his team plays a game close enough to where I'm at I might go check it out to see what the hype is all about. The other thing is he is very old for high school standards and if I remember correctly he will be 20 by the time he enters Notre Dame. So we shall see if it is his physical advantage or if he really is that good.

What am I most interested in? Of course most know how much I hate USC and I love watching all the stuff finally coming to light at South Central. I had heard plenty of rumors about shady dealings in Trojan land and it looks like some of it was true. It'd be nice to throw it back in the faces of all the USC "fans" I've had to deal with that popped up over the past few years knowing they had to cheat to do what they did. But it wouldn't make a difference to me if they had to vacate their 2004 National Championship or Reggie Bush's Heisman Trophy because they did what they did on the field, I'll just always remember that they were cheaters.

Your head coach comes down with a mystery illness and has to step aside. You get to hand pick the replacement for the 2006 season. Who gets your vote?

Many Michigan fans have had enough with Coach Carr of earning the title of doing less with more as Michigan has so much talent yet underachieves pretty much every season as any National Championship hopes are gone by mid to late September as the Wolverines end up losing their first road game of the year almost every season. Because of this there has been a lot of talk about who fans want as their next coach and I've got one name at the top of my list. Jeff Tedford of Cal. He has rebuilt a program that was nothing at Berkeley and turned them into perennial contenders in the Pac-10. Michigan has a tradition of sending QB's to the NFL, Tedford also has a reputation for turning his QB's into NFL picks and that combination could do some damage. Michigan's offensive playcalling has become extremely predictable and I would love to see what Tedford could do with Michigan's firepower. In addition, he currently coaches at an excellent academic institution as well so he would know how to deal with the academic standards as well. When Coach Carr retires I really hope that Tedford is under consideration.

Lastly, we'll mix the football and the blogging together here. If you could have anyone switch allegiances and start covering your team, who you gonna pick?

I would be like most other bloggers and say Brian at MGoBlog gets my vote but the good thing is he already does blog for my favorite team so I'll have to go elsewhere. There are a bunch of good options out there as Bruins Nation, Burnt Orange Nation and Every Day Should Be Saturday are among my favorites and I would love to get their takes on Michigan but if I had to choose one I would have to go with Kyle at Dawg Sports. He is always up to date and keeps up with every sport out there for Georgia in such detail that I would definitely want to see what he would write about if he started covering Michigan. It doesn't hurt that I've always liked Georgia ever since I read the story on Hines Ward at Georgia while I was in high school.

Kyle posted a question about how you became a fan of your team so I'll discuss that later this week. As well as discussing more NBA playoffs, even though I said I wouldn't these playoffs or just too good and how fast the Suns are rising up the list of teams I can't stand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home