.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Damn it

Exactly how I feel sometimes Lamar

The Lakers blew another home game last night dropping a pivotal game to the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets are now only 1 1/2 games behind the Lakers for 6th in the West. Meaning the difference between playing San Antonio in the first round as opposed to Phoenix. This Lakers team is so frustrating to watch at times, I feel like I did when I would watch Michigan basketball these past few years. The lack of effort at times, no boxing out, defensive breakdowns, it's all happening and it couldn't happen at a worse time. There are now only 8 games left in the regular season so every game is crucial.

The next two games are very winnable at the Clippers and Sonics, before coming back home and playing the Suns. Regardless of wins and losses, the defense lately has been atrocious and that does not bode well for the playoffs. This isn't the Lakers team of old that can flip the switch whenever they want. They must get their act together now if they have any chance at making some noise in the playoffs.

Freedarko has a great post on Kobe. It's good to know other non-Lakers fans appreciate what they see. Sure you may have your reasons to dislike him, although many of the reasons people do hate him aren't true, but you cannot deny his greatness. Over the years since I went to college I've gradually become less of a professional sports fan and more of a college one. I'll still watch my pro teams if I have the chance, but I don't clear out my schedule to do so like I do with Michigan. But the one team I always make time to watch is the Lakers, because Kobe can do something amazing everytime he steps on the court and I want to be sure I witness it. I was too young to appreciate Jordan in his prime, that and I had a strong dislike for him because his Bulls beat Magic and the Lakers in 91, so I feel this is a second chance for me to witness greatness, and it's a double bonus that he plays on my favorite team.

John Beilein was introducted officially today as the new head basketball coach at Michigan. MGoBlog, as always, was on top of it live blogging the press conference. Hopefully MGoBlue will have a transcript of it up soon as I wasn't able to catch it. As I said before I'm extremely excited for the new direction of our program. Coach Beilein is regarded as one of the best coaches in the game, but he has never had as much talent as he will have, and be able to get, at Michigan and I can't wait to see it in action.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home