.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Picks of the Week

With the return of college football season comes the return of Picks of the week. After being a largely unsuccessful sports bettor I decided halfway through last year I would stop with the parlays and stick to straight games and since then I fared much better. Take them for what its worth but here are my five picks of the week:

South Carolina -7 @ Mississippi State
The Gamecocks begin year two under Steve Spurrier by taking a visit to Starkville. Coach Croom is starting to turn things around for the Bulldogs but the graduation of Jerious Norwood is big and I think that the other USC will be too much for the other MSU.

UTEP +120 (+2.5) @ San Diego State
The Chuck Long era begins for San Diego State tonight but it won't be a good start as they take on the UTEP Miners led by Carson Palmer's younger brother Jordan. I think UTEP has too much for SDSU and will win pretty easily.

USC -8 @ Arkansas
If you're a regular reader of this site you know how much I hate USC, but even so I cannot pass up value when it's there. Remember USC beat Arkansas 70-17 last year and even though the Trojans have a lot to replace I still think they will win going away. I gave Arkansas a chance if they had Bryant McFadden but with him out I don't think USC will have any problems in Fayetteville.

Oregon -12 vs. Stanford
The Ducks coming off a loss in the Holiday Bowl to Oklahoma open the season in Eugene against the Stanford Cardinal. Oregon is a good team, Stanford sucks, is what it comes down to and I believe Oregon will win big.

Florida State +3 @ Miami
Normally I don't like to take so many road teams but I think getting 3 points is great value so I'm picking the Seminoles. With all the turmoil going on at Miami with suspensions I think Florida State will take care of business. Even if they don't these games are always close so even if Florida State can't pull it off they should cover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home