.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Westsider Rider

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Just as I'm starting to heat up

I went 6-1 in my picks last week that I posted so I was thinking that I'm ready to hit my hot streak, but then word spread on Monday that the the bill banning online gambling passed through the weekend and will come into effect as soon as President Bush signs it, which he already may have. The bill was attached to a completely unrelated bill for port security and no one will vote against port security in this day in age with elections coming up. Granted I do understand the harms that come from people that can't control their online gambling/poker playing but this doesn't cure everything as the Republicans think it will. Sure some people will just give it up because of the difficulty but people who are a little bit deeper than that will now turn to the underground to get their action which could become even more dangerous.

Luckily for me I live close to the poker capital of the world, Los Angeles, where there are numerous card clubs to turn to if I want to get my fix of poker, but for those elsewhere in the country this could mean going to the underground clubs of NY or wherever they can find a game. Some people who are sports bettors, like myself, could try to go and find a bookie where it could get even worse than just betting a few bucks on the internet. That's just my opinion though, as I'm sure a lot of people will side with the government on this one. I actually just cashed out all my money just to be safe but it may be a good thing as none of this weekend's games look that appealing. I'm sure there will be a way around it, somebody will find a way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home